Wednesday, 25 May 2011
However this is a momentous milestone for me. I have finished cutting out my `muslin` butterick pants and by doing so I have reduced my STASH to under 200metres.
Before I discovered sewing blogland I thought I must have the most material in the whole world. Boy was I wrong. I then actually measured and documented what I had and this amounted to over 200metres. Not alot for some people but overwhelming for me. So like alot of other people I too have a resolution to sew this down to at least 1/2. Don`t get me wrong I enjoy having a stash just not a large one. There is also a practical reason for this as we are building a new house and I have elected not to have a sewing room as realistically someone will be moving out in the next 2-3 years ( sob ) .I have been told emphatically that I am CRAZY not to have a sewing room but I want to downsize and have less fullstop.
Anyway I am quietly celebrating my material milestone, happy to watch my ugly fabric pile go down and use previously unloved patterns. These butterick pants should sew up alot quicker than my previous jacket effort so hopefully I will be back soon.
Cheers Janine. PS The weather is still too horrible to garden - what a pity.
Phew ! Finally finished. I love this stage when one project is complete and then you have the delicious task of figuring out what is next. I am going to muslin the Butterick pants pattern with the bright twill .
I had trouble deciding what buttons to complete this jacket with - I finally chose these recycled gold/tarnished buttons that are quite pretty but perhaps speak too much of the 90s. I didn`t want to drive to a sewing supplies shop ( nearest one at least 15kms away ) and the other buttons I had although matching were just a tad too small and didn`t look right. Perhaps I will keep my eye out for more up to date buttons on my future outings.
I did enjoy sewing this jacket though. The Style pattern is dated 1984 and there were a few notable differences from the more modern day patterns. For a start the tissue paper of this pattern is more substantial and all the seam lines were printed on this . Also I feel the instructions were a bit better - they kept on referring to when you press your garment which I don`t recall seeing for a while. I think this would be good for beginners. I will try to get one of my helpers to take a photo of me wearing this( they are all at school ) . This jacket is fortunately not big and baggy with huge shoulders so hopefully I will get some wear out of this .
Off to cut out my next project - it is such a miserable day I am relieved of my guilt and obligations to garden - more about this soon .