So happy to be able to be back sewing again after a three month momentous hiatus.
I finally finished the fourth pair of New Look shorts and then contemplated sewing up a` new` piece of fabric. However I have had my little basket full of scraps sitting in my sewing room for over 6 months so thought I should just sew them up and then have a fresh start. I am glad about that decision because I am very pleased with my completed top .
I bought Vogue 8793 after seeing Sham`s and Jilly`s versions .
I have used 5 different scrap fabrics in this top and only one was new !
Front made from black /white eye crossing poly - from New Look T 6405 - October 2013
Other front from black, red , grey rayon lycra - from Butterick dress 5523 - July 2014
Back from a garish floral `vintage ` spotlight poly knit - from New Look dress 6429 - March 2006
Inner collars pieces from Cleggs Bamboo knit - from Kwik Sew 2694 - May 2013 .
Outer collars and cuffs used small scraps of the above prints .
Sleeves from the only new fabric - black cotton lycra remnant from Darn Cheap - bought April 2014.
I didn`t have enough fabric to cut the front in one but this turned out to be a great design feature .
I did also have to buy two new zips but basically it is almost made from scraps which is very satisfying .
I was concerned that the zip feature around the neck might be scratchy but it is not at all and I just used the stock standard cheap zips from my local store because that is all I can access anyway. I could not get a zip long enough so had to piece together the zips but this is only noticeable to me .
The T shirt itself has a relaxed but not too baggy fit with slimmer fitting arms so will be a good basic top even without the neckline zip focus. I really like the artsy funky feel to this top - it is my new favourite.
Well it just goes to show that it is definitely worth saving those scraps and I am not just a bit crazy to do so.