Wednesday 26 September 2012

Simplicity 5197 - Embellished Tunic.


 I  have been sewing in dribs and drabs and finished up this tunic a couple of weeks ago. I have managed to wear this a few times now even though my sewing is topsy turvy - sewing a winter tunic when the weather is definitely warming up - blame it on hormones or whatever good excuse us females have.


Pattern - Simplicity 5197 - dated 2004 . A simple and plain tunic with side splits and sleeve, collar and neckline variations. I have used this once before just as is - using the V neck view with a collar and 3/4 sleeves with the split - no changes at all.
This time I wanted to be a little more ` creative` inspired by so many other bloggers .

Material - crinkled semi-sheer georgette - I love the rich rust coloured swirls on the black background .

I made several changes to the pattern - I reversed the front neck line facing so it is  on  the outside instead of inside and used a contrasting scrap of black satin. I then embellished this facing - hand stitched some narrow black ribbed trim to the outer edge and then using a simple cross stitch and machine embroidery thread stitched over the trim. I thought about adding another fancy stitch using bronze metallic thread but this seemed too much but it still wasn`t quite right so I added three bronzed looking buttons down the front. I also lengthened and flared the sleeves so they could be full length and elasticised. I used french seams everywhere including the sleeves. Talking about french seams on the sleeves - I googled this and alot  of the sites said it can`t be done. The other sites said it is really easy ! Well I had nothing to lose ( except lots of unpicking and narrower seams )  so I gave it a try and it all worked out fine .


Here is a close up the neck line - the satin looks a little puckered but I am loving this tunic so it just doesn`t matter.

I would highly recommend this pattern - it is a relaxed fit without being too voluminous and there are so many different design possibilities. It is also very simple to sew . I am sure I will be making this one again.

Happy Sewing , Cheers Janine.

9 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic on you - well done with the changes! It certainly is warming up quickly this year, Spring has sprung on us all very suddenly...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this top, the colour and design changes give it a little extra pizzazz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine, that is an amazing tunic! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful! I love the embellishment with the ribbon and embroidery too. Also, the cut of the tunic, as you mentioned, is just right and not too voluminous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tunic and the neckline is beautiful. Great job (and there is still enough chill in the air to enjoy those long sleeves).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you've trimmed this top. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your changes- it i so personal and the colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty fabric. It looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely garment. The reversed facing detail is such a great idea for embellishment without fighting with the print. It looks comfortable, casual, and elegant, which IMO is a difficult combination to hit!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.