Saturday 29 August 2015

A Bloggy Catch Up and Ramblings about Fabric .

It is a lovely Sunday morning here - the rain has stopped ( our sheep at one stage had their own personal olympic sized swimming pool with a Murray River run off in their paddock  - I put a stop to their backstroke lessons when I unclogged the roadside drain ) and it is sunny.
I have had my breakfast carefully supervised by my food taster . If he does not drop dead one millisecond after eating my toast ( multigrain BTW )  prepared for me by my husband then I proceed to enjoy. My fitness instructor has taken me for a walk. The fitness involved depends entirely on how many fitness instructors have preceded us. Sometimes we need to inspect every single blade of grass and other times a quick sniff of some select trees and fence posts will suffice. Now my bodyguard will allow me to sew whilst he pretends to curl up and sleep . However I see him opening a single eye now and again to check for any potential assassins .

This year I was making a concerted effort to really sew down my fabric stash/ collection / hoard or whatever you want to call it. I made a policy that if I bought fabric then I would HAVE to sew it up straight away.



This policy works really well. I bought the mesh knit for my knipmode scarf top  from my previous post .
I bought this cream cable rib knit above  for my practice run for my black lace bonded knit . The bust darts are too low and the sleeves are too short but I was happy otherwise.


I bought this border print from an op shop - a bare one metre and sewed up Simplicity 4368 again . This is such a nifty little pattern - to be able to get a top with sleeves from such little fabric ( I use size 12 )  . However it seems the fabric buying policy expired in late July.
My excuse is my daughter had an exam in a regional town a couple of hours away. I rarely go there and I had 3  1/2 hours to spare . So I went and looked at an op shop . And found a mother lode of fabric . In the end I limited it to just under 20 metres - taupe  tropical wool, cream rayon, floral dotted swiss , cream rib stretch, cotton-silk ( I think ) floral , lemon and rust coloured crepe de chines and a pale grey mystery . Yes so in one swell swoop I bought the amount of fabric it has taken me to sew for the year . Sigh - there is always next year yes ?


I will finish with a word about my  food taster / fitness instructor / bodyguard. Just in case you are jealous or think he is perfect , well he is not . I have given him several dissertations on how to make the perfect cup of tea. He knows the theory well but has yet to put it to practice.

Happy Sewing Janine.

10 comments:

  1. LOL. I am confident your handsome taster/fitness instructor/ bodyguard will eventually get the tea making mystery sorted!
    Motherlode indeed. I would break a fabric buying fast for those riches! I never seem to find anything but awfulness in op shops in terms of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle. Did I mention he is also our doorbell .

      Delete
  2. Oh Janine, don't you know op shop fabric doesn't come into the count. That's the real rule (around here anyway). I think you have got the motherlode from some sewer who couldn't rule her stash (as opposed to... you know... the other reason a stash may go to the op shop). I must look into that Simplicity pattern for small fabric bits. Oh, I really like the cream top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that charity shop purchases are different. The one who donates gains as she discards something she doesn't want any more. You get to recycle something that might have been burned or gone to landfill. Even if you never use it the charity will do something worth while with your money. So it is a win win win. Also I love the square neck on your T shirt - really pretty and a bit unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that charity shop purchases are different. The one who donates gains as she discards something she doesn't want any more. You get to recycle something that might have been burned or gone to landfill. Even if you never use it the charity will do something worth while with your money. So it is a win win win. Also I love the square neck on your T shirt - really pretty and a bit unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did You get my e-mail that I sent few days ago (can happen that I landed at the spam-box)? B.r.,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charity shop purchases do not count! You have to be in the right place at the right time for such gems so need to make the most of the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say, that border print is really pretty and has made up into a lovely top and a white top is always a good wardrobe staple.

      Delete
  7. Oh, I agree charity shop fabric does not count! I love how you used the border print in a top. I probably wouldn't have thought of it as the print is quite large. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Janine - I have been following all your lovely recent makes that you have posted, but have been unable to comment as I have been away for six weeks and had poor wi fi and my tablet refused to comment on blogger! Love all your recent work.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.