Thursday 28 January 2016

Hello Hi-Lo Jumper - Knipmode December 2013.


I am really giving my Knipmode magazines a workout now .  I have been slow to jump on the uneven hem  bandwagon ( which is nothing different from usual ) but I like how the front gently curves out to meet the side seams and a lower back hem hides a lot . 


I used a thin slubby jumper ( sweater ) knit from Darn Cheap bought at the end of 2014 from the $2 table  .  I love the colour but the fabric is a bit delicate so I will have to be careful about snagging . It was also a bit stretchy so I was as careful as possible while sewing it . I was worried the neckline would end up near my navel. 

Knipmode December 2013 . 
The pattern is very simple V neck , slightly dropped shoulder , front centre seam , hi- lo top with pockets . It looked a bit loose fitting on the models so I did NOT add seam allowances to any of the pattern pieces . In retrospect I should have added seam allowances to the neckline but as I will always wear another top underneath I got away with that . I also did not add any hem allowances because I am discovering that Knipmode patterns are quite long . The only other changes I made were to use some navy satin bias binding on the neckline as the pattern uses a facing here  and for the curved hemline. 
I lined  the pockets  with matching scrap satin and finished the pocket tops with more navy binding . Using lining and the bias binding on the pockets actually made it easier to sew the pockets because of the fine stretchy nature of the knit. 


I used steam-a-seam on the sleeve hems , clear elastic at the shoulders but just overlocked and stitched the body hem . I was very careful applying the bias binding to neck line which I think also adds some stability to the stretchy knit as well as a nice contrast. I used a ballpoint needle and the inbuilt walking foot on my sewing maching so making the jumper was not as hard as I worried it would be.
Despite the knit being a bit see through I am happy over all with my new jumper and if the world or I gets tired of hi-lo hems then I can just chop off the back portion. 


So I have now sewn just over 1/2 of all my knipmodes. Just over a year ago I made a resolution to 
sew up garmets from my unused new pattern envelopes and pattern magazines . Unfortunately those pattern piles have increased . 



 Recently Spotlight had a great sale  - all patterns except Vogue were 3 for $9 if you were a member so I bought 6 new patterns . Also the majority of my burdas pictured here were a lucky find -10 for $20 so how could I not be greedy and scoop them up !So lots here to keep me busy for a long long time.  Happy Sewing Janine. 
Costings- Fabric from Darn Cheap $2.60 , Pattern - Knipmode $15, Notions - new ballpoint needles $4.30, thread $2.00, other notions - clear elastic, steam-a-seam, bias binding , pocket lining from stash. Total cost - $23.90

7 comments:

  1. Such a pretty blue and I like the satin binding.

    You are really lucky with your pattern finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty top and the satin binding takes it up a notch. Great pattern haul too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cute cute! I so often think I'm missing out because I don't get the Knipmode or Octobre magazines. This blue is beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done on the pattern haul, especially the Burdas. I also had a bit of a splurge in the Spotlight sale too.
    That shade of blue is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pattern piles, along with stash, always increase...it's some sort of immutable law of the sewing universe...

    I do like your new top - the binding makes it quite special. I feel the same way about high lows - hide sins, and they can be cut off. It looks as though the high low trend is well set to continue next summer though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that this is very successful, especially that shade of blue. A good friend gave me a pile of Burda magazines. I know there are some great patterns in there but I just can't bring myself to do the darn tracing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that this is very successful, especially that shade of blue. A good friend gave me a pile of Burda magazines. I know there are some great patterns in there but I just can't bring myself to do the darn tracing.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.