Sunday 10 April 2016

Simplicity 2153 - Lemon-Lime Linen Anorak.


Two posts in one day !  I love this casual anorak pattern from Simplicity and then found this lovely hefty soft citrusy coloured linen in the op shop for only $5 - bargain. I thought it would be perfect match for my pattern and it was with caveats.


First of all finding an open ended zip to match was really hard - in the end I found a kind of matching one in a small packed to the rafters haberdashery shop near my Mum's house. However it was 10cm shorter than what was specified for the pattern. I thought about using buttons or adding a placket to conceal a non- matching zip. Then when I came to cut out the fabric I did not have enough ! The tag said there was 2 1/2 metres which is exactly what is needed for the anorak. On closer inspection the tag had 2.1 metres with the 1 crossed off and 2 written down so it looked like 2 1/2 metres. So I had  to shorten the body pieces by 10cm which meant the zip was perfect .
Once all that palaver was through, making the jacket was easy. It is an unlined zip front jacket with 3 collar choices and either sleeveless or with sleeves. There are optional draw strings at the waist and hem and a couple of different pocket designs.
I had to use the smallest collar option and added a drawstring at the waist , the diagonal pockets and tabs at the sleeves and shoulders .



The jacket has enough room to wear over a jumper and is nicely shaped through the middle helped by the adjustable drawstrings .


I really enjoyed making this jacket as much as I like wearing it . The linen package also came with some coordinating plaid which is used extensively inside the jacket- the bias binding along the front facings, the drawstring channel , yoke lining ,  the hem facing ( to get the most of my jacket length ) and pocket linings.
Apart from having to shorten the jacket by 10 cms  I added a yoke lining and added the totally non-functional lining / buttons to the functional pockets. I also shorted the sleeves by 2-3 cm but I think I might need to take off even more -they are quite long .


I found this cool idea on Pinterest to add a lining to the pocket and button up the top part of the pocket


My only complaint about this pattern are that the front facings seem to end in no-man`s land on the yoke so I would change that next time ( oh and the sleeves are quite long ) .

Overall I highly recommend this pattern - It is a great design that you can personalise in so many ways. There are definitely going to be more of these in my wardrobe  - hopefully a winter version if I can find some appropriate fabric.



Happy Sewing Janine. Costings. Fabric - $5.00 op shop . Pattern - $16.00 . Notions - zip $2.50, thread - $3.25, cord and stops - $4.60 , buttons - stash . Total - $31.05.

9 comments:

  1. Wow Janine this is fantastic. You've done an amazing job and the length is just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that anorak style so much and I like the length too. I also really like the contrast plaid... how thoughtful of the seamstress that thought forward and added it in. I have a similar Burda pattern I'd like to make up for when it eventually gets cold. I am sitting in a little singlet dress at the moment so it's hard to see it getting cold quickly though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This jacket looks great. Lots of interesting details and beautifully sewn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog on a link from "Diary of a Sewing Fanatic"! I have this pattern but I admit I'd never thought of doing it in a linen! It TOTALLY works! I made a version of this in a water resistant fabric (Fabric Mart online) lined with a coordinating flannel (Hancock's), and had similar problems finding the right zipper length, I ended up just centering it and wearing it with a scarf at the top and accepting a gap at the bottom. I made it years ago and still wear it every fall and spring. I've not seen it made up elsewhere! I love your version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! What a wonderful idea to make the jacket out of linen. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou everyone for the kind comments. I obviously am pretty pleased with the result of the jacket hence lots of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Late to catch up with post, but just wanted to say that I love everything about this jacket.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.