Saturday 5 November 2016

Battle of the Kimono Patterns.


This beautiful burnout velvet was offered up at the sewing group I attend and as no-one else wanted it I snaffled it up as I had bought a kimono pattern earlier in the year and then realised I had no suitable fabric .
But then I had a closer look at the pattern and became unsure because I really love the fabric and did not want to muck up.
I do not sew muslins unless for very good fabrics or a special occasion outfit . If I was expected to sew a muslin for everything then I would just quit sewing . So it really is a testimony to how much I liked the fabric that I ended up making three muslins of different patterns.


From left to right is a Knipmode jacket from March 2014 ,  jacket pattern  110 from Burdastyle April 2016 and finally Simplicity 1588.
The Knipmode kimono jacket was too large  and tending to look like a potential  dressing gown , not the look I was going for . I sewed up the the size small kimono from the Simplicity pattern which corresponds to size 10-12 . I am usually a size 12 in Simplicity but the kimono was too small . Also it takes 3.00 metres ( 3 1/4 yards ) of material which I did not have .
The Burdastyle pattern was just right ( perhaps I should call this blog post Goldilocks and the Three Kimonos ) !  However I did make changes . The jacket comes with an extra flap in front and welt pockets which I eliminated . I added 10 cms in length as well but otherwise the slightly loose fit and dropped shoulder and wide sleeves were what I was imaging. The sleeves in the burda pattern are separate and not incorporated with the body pieces like the other patterns but I again I preferred this as there was no puckering under the arms .


I finished the front bands with some slightly contrasting silk and added the same width bands to the end of the sleeves ( another change ! ) . The jacket was very easy to sew .



Well I am very happy with final product and would highly recommend this pattern . In fact this particular issue of Burdastyle is really good . I have already cut out two patterns . Thank you so much  Bruna for your gift. Now I just need somewhere to wear it !
PS Bruna , your husbands xmas present is done. I will bring the goods next visit ๐Ÿ˜œ

16 comments:

  1. Oh isn't it gorgeous. That fabric is so beautiful; I love the colours and I like the contrast bands. Isn't that always the way... we can make beautiful things but nowhere to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely. Maybe a date night is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely gorgeous! Honestly it would dress up just about any outfit, so if you get a last minute holiday party invite, you are good to go. I think you might find more uses for it than you see right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou ! I was so glad no- one else wanted the fabric . I am at least going to take it to this months sewing meeting to show my friend but she might regret giving it away now !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes, this is just so very pretty and special - well worth the effort. A timeless classic, I am sure you will love for a long time yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. PS love your new car - what a special husband you have !

      Delete
  6. Lovely adjustments to the original pattern. Like Schmoomom, I think you'll wear it more often that you would have thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I will . I think it is a waste to sew clothes you don't end up wearing.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful jacket and what a lucky fabric find. Bravo to you for your persistence in testing patterns. You picked a winner and I think you'll enjoy it in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was lucky to get the fabric. I tend to hold back until everyone else has looked at the offerings.

      Delete
  8. Such a gorgeous jacket that fits you beautifully! Great pattern choice for that beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. The jacket is easy to fit though ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  9. This is so pretty and goes beautifully with your drapey pants and top. I wouldn't have thought of a kimono top from burnout velvet but it definitely works! I must remember this pattern because I have that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great issue. I have also made two tops from it and I am eyeing off a tunic dress.

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous fabric and the perfect pattern to show it off. I've been wanting a kimono pattern for a while, but some of them are just too impractical or bathrobe-like so thank you for pointing out this pattern, I didn't see it as a kimono jacket at all before now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I was worried about the bathrobe look too. I considered another burdastyle pattern but the only reviews looked like a dressing gown.

      Delete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.