Thursday 25 May 2017

Button Front Shirt with a Tie Front Twist - Burdastyle 11/2011 .



My  sewing has been very slow in the last month and in fact it feels like I am not achieving much of anything .
But I have finished  another project .
After finally completing my Knipmode challenge by sewing up at least one pattern from each magazine  I have turned towards my Burda magazines now.
I had about 6 unused Burda magazines and the idea was to get through those as well but something happened. Last month I went to a Melbourne op shop and I spotted a basket on the ground full of Burda magazines . I almost fell over myself in trying to get there before the man and child in front of me could steal them . Luckily they were not interested  in sewing magazines so I plonked myself down on the ground  , emptied the basket and started trying to work out which ones to get . After a little while I realised that was useless so I just lugged the magazines to the front counter and bought them ALL. Ahem , 31 of them .
Now they were old - ranging from the years 2000- 2006 but for 75 cents each I don`t think I would be the only crazy sewing female to get them ( would I ?? tell me I`m not nuts ) and there are some really good patterns in there that don`t look out of place for now and besides I am not exactly the most fashionable person around in case you hadn`t noticed.
So there goes my Burda Challenge because sewing a pattern each from 37 magazines might take a long time.

So back to the really important stuff - the shirt I just sewed.

I used  pattern 107  from November 2011 which has side pieces which tie at the front . I am seeing quite a few patterns around with this feature even now but I figured if I get sick of them I can unpick the side seams and remove those bits and just have a plain shirt . They really remind me of how we used to tie our jumpers around our waists at school . I went to two secondary high schools and at the government school no-one cared that we did that but at the private school we used to get told off by teachers and prefects so wearing this shirt makes me feel a little bit naughty . I am tempted to call this post Naughty School Girl Fashion or the Tie Me Up shirt but can imagine the creeps that might look that up !


I used some very old stash to use the shirt - a seersuckery striped cotton in beige with blues and greens and plums . The fabric looks much nicer in real life . The last couple of shirts I have sewn , I have made the sleeves first because I think these are the trickiest parts trying to sew the sleeve slit / bands well. It then feels like the rest goes quicker and easier. The shoulders on this shirt are wider than I would like but not an easy fix . After sewing the shirt I noticed that  it  looks wide on the models as well . It is also very long which is fair enough since Burda calls this a dress not actually a shirt . I did make the shortest version of all three variations ( but I have included a photo of the midi one not the short one ) .


Overall I like the pattern but I won`t be making it again ( hello  37 unused  Burdas and many more  unused envelope patterns  ) I wore the shirt today for Me Made May which I am participating in for the first time . So off to post this on instagram and also the facebook stashbusting group I am in ! 

10 comments:

  1. 31 burdas in an op shop? Fantastic! I have one or two old issues from the noughties and some ok most of the patterns are still fabulous. Perhaps that's a reflection of my fashion style or lack of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are heaps of patterns that would still look great now . I have had my money's worth just flicking through them.

      Delete
  2. My Dad took a boxful of my mother's Burdas to the op shop a while ago (without asking her!!!! - yes, they are still married after 52 years). Maybe they ended up in Victoria. I was also a private schoolgirl who got told off for tying jumpers around my waist by the nuns, so I appreciate the "vibe".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Your mother is an angel. Perhaps I can send them up to her !

      Delete
  3. I would do just the same, and feel no shame at all. What a great find. And a nice shirt as the result. Can't wait to see what else you make from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. I'm glad I'm not alone. I must stop looking though because I have more than enough stuff now. It's just that I can't resist the potential treasures I might find.

      Delete
  4. Wow that was a great find, I love all my old Burda's and often go back and find things from years back so I am sure you will get good use out of them. I look forward to seeing what you try next and reminding me to go digging in my Burda stash! As for this shirt, I love it which is no surprise as I love all things twisty and drapy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have been worrying about selection for Button Front Shirt then I think this blog is really helpful. I also like Hand Embroidered cloths because it is known for its good quality. Hand Embroidered Coats, Skirts, Shirts, Trousers, Pants, Jeans and many more accessories make a real pleasure about best selection of clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did well buying all those Burda magazines!! I would've done the same! I really like this shirt/dress and the ties in front make it unusual in a good way. Look forward to seeing what you make from your new treasures! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.