Thursday 2 November 2017

Acute Angles Black Skirt ( Burda WOF 02/2006 )





At the beginning of the year I gave away my good summer black skirt to my middle daughter which of course gave  me an excellent reason to sew another one just in case anyone should have  asked  "What are you sewing another skirt ?" " Yes ,but I gave my black skirt away and everyone knows that having a black skirt for summer is essential like brains and  baby goat yoga  ."
I have had this embroidered black cotton in my cupboard for only about 10 years . It counts as one my special fabrics because it came  from another closed down fabric store and it  is  lovely quality.

                                                            Image result for i have come to the conclusion that buying craft supplies and using them are two different hobbies

I pulled out lots of skirt patterns that I would like to sew but eventually chose an old BurdaWOF pattern from the large pile I bought from the op shop earlier this year .


This is from Burda WOF February 2006 which is probably about how old my fabric  is so this choice is quite appropriate really. I  liked the deep cross over front pleat and shaped yoke which I find quite flattering and comfortable for me. The pattern was rated as easy . I could not see how the pleated pieces were joined but I went ahead and cut out my pattern believing all would be revealed as I sewed up the skirt.


Turns out that the two front pieces are not joined together !  The skirt was at least  easy to sew up as promised .
First a deep self facing is turned to the wrong side .






Then the right front is lapped over the left at some markings.










Finally the left front is folded over the right side  at the pleat marks ( I marked the pleat lines with  yellow stitching  to make this visible  and easier - obviously I pulled this stitching out later ) .









I have not yet worn the skirt out in the wild .However it was a positive sign  when these photos were being taken that  I got the seal of approval from my eldest daughter who said she would wear an outfit like this . I am hoping that the deep pleats will prevent flashing at the first breeze I encounter otherwise well it is going to be a very cool summer skirt indeed  but just not for the kind of  work I do ! (  Or I might add in some hand stitching but time will time .  )

Until next time may every day be a Sewday for you .




7 comments:

  1. I think this is a great wrap skirt - it has hints of the modern wrap skirt that has the diagonal wrap, but it seems no underwrap to speak off! This one looks good and deep. Lovely fabric, and you are wearing the new top - which as I thought, would not look too much with something plain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really interesting wrap skirt. I agree with your daughter. The whole outfit looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janine, I commented a couple of days ago... I don't know what happened to that one?? I really love this skirt and I have always liked the style but i was surprised that it was not a pleat but a overlap, and I think it makes it much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I also meant to say - I love the little saying and how great it is to have 2 hobbies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very stylish skirt. I hope that it is wearable out there in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you do feel confident to wear the skirt out in the wild as it's a really great looking skirt and outfit! Agree with your eldest daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.