Thursday 7 December 2017

Selfless Sewing Series -Pattern First or Fabric First ?



Not much sewing has been going on around this part of the world even though I am just at the end of two weeks holiday. I have been making some slow progess on a coffee table runner but put that aside when my eldest daughter asked  that I make her a couple of tops for her travels next year. So last week my eldest and youngest DDs and myself  drove to Melbourne to hit the fabric shops. 

First up was Darn Cheap where my youngest found a couple of pieces she liked ( I didn`t know this was a part of the deal - oh well ! ) . She really liked some floral poly crepe which she wants made into a wrap around dress and found some zigzag cozy knit for a jumper . Luckily the latest Burdas here ( August and September ) have patterns for what she wants. 

Next up was The Cloth Shop in Ivanhoe where it  was commented on  that we looked like a pack of hunters. I suppose we were stealthily stalking the aisles. Here my eldest daughter fell in love with some green linen knit pictured above . She also found a small remnant -60cm - of Japanese cotton which is absolutely gorgeous . I had to use every last mm of the length to eke out a top for her . We used plain navy crepe to make up the shortfall. The pattern is based on one of her old tops in a boxy loose fitting style. I copied an idea from a German blog and made a tag out of the cute selvage. 

So this year I have been trying very hard to use what I have to make up my unused Knipmodes and Burdas. However as the year progressed I hit some hurdles. For some of the patterns I chose I just did not have the right fabric. More recently I bought some patterns I wanted to make up now but had absolutely nothing so that meant  a shopping trip for me. 


I went to ClearIt in Fitzroy and found some navy/ grey argyle double knit to make a raglan sleeve windcheater . I also picked up some beige cotton lycra to make some camisoles but simply could not leave the spotty / stripey cozy knit behind. I hope to make the patterns below .


And then I received an email from Style Arc about some stretch denim and jeans pattern and did not hesitate to push the buy button. They came with another free top pattern which I really like. 


So this year I have been choosing patterns first and fabric second. Now I have stocked up on fabric  for now I can continue with the patterns first trend but I think next year I will have to have a new approach to sewing. But for now I have a bit of selfless sewing to get through. So how do you approach sewing ? Fabric first or pattern first ?? 

6 comments:

  1. Always the pattern first. The silhouette and design lines talk to me and dictate the fabric needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve been thinking about the exact same thing as I browse emmaonesocks new fabrics this morning. I don’t seem to be very consistent. It’s pattern first sometimes and fabric others. I have a large fabric stash. Often at the beginning on a season I decide on a couple of patterns I like then go through my stash and look for partners and then go back to my burda magazines to find patterns to work with other fabrics I discover and so on. So much fun working out a mini wardrobe. At the end of the season I might have made two things. So both patterns and fabrics go back in the stash for another round.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same issue. My sewing output does not reflect my sewing intent ! Two weeks holiday and it was only the last Friday when I made a simple top over the course of a day. Hope to cut out the linen knit this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I buy to make something specific, like merino for someone, but I think mostly I buy what I love and can't live without or if it's good quality and cheap .. at the op shop or the designer fabric sale I go to. I don't need any more really... I've got lots of sewing intent in tubs..ha ha ha. Sofie.. I'm having trouble signing into google for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am usually fabric first because I cannot guarantee I will find exactly what I am picturing in my head otherwise. The only exception would be if I have a pattern I want to make in something basic, say denim or black ponte. Also I love fabric shopping and prefer to be free to grab whatever catches my eye.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.