Sunday 11 March 2018

Style Arc Blakley Stretch Jeans.





 This is the first pair of jeans I have sewn and they  might not even be the last. When I read an email from Style Arc in November selling the pattern / fabric bundle for the Blakley Stretch Jeans I pounced quickly and bought it.


 It came with the Winnie Top which I hope to make very soon. The jeans have a skinny leg style ,wide waist band with elastic , faux front pockets and a faux fly.


On the back though are fair dinkum , dinky di functioning pockets !

It is that time of year where we all complain about how dry it is and we wish it would rain. One advantage is that you don`t have to mow lawns and even the weeds have trouble growing. This year though we have enough feed for our sheep. 
I have already blogged about those pockets which were the hardest part of this project.
The jeans were relatively easy to sew. I did not follow the order of instructions which say to sew the pockets on first before constructing the jeans. I sewed them on last to get the best looking placement I could - I attached them just under the angled back yoke rather than the 2 or so cms gap recommended as that looked too low. I also sewed the front and back waist bands to the front and back pants separately so I could sew up the side seams last.


It did take me three goes to put in  the elastic - the first time I attached it  to the wrong part of the inner waist seam and the second time I got the insertion correct but the elastic was too long so the waist band gaped.
I also had to look up  a tutorial on how to do the faux fly as I could not quite understand the directions although the rest of the instructions were easily to follow.


The only changes I made to the pattern were to lengthen the legs by about an inch . I could find no reference to what height the jeans are drafted and I did indeed need every little bit of that extra length ( I am 169 cm tall).
I have never sewn jeans before because I have not had the need to . I don`t really wear them so much these days and bought ones fit fine. However the main advantages to me of making my own were the fun of decorating those back pockets . If I am not careful I might starting embroidering everything that doesn`t move ! I also liked having the choice of double stitching my seams with plain navy blue rather than the usual gold threat and there is always that satisfaction of making your own clothes.
I  might make these again but using some of the Style Arc Bengaline or other stretch woven. I would highly recommend this pattern as a great easy way to sew jeans.




13 comments:

  1. Great jeans, they've come out very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was shocked ( but very happy ) with how they came out !

      Delete
  2. Nice jeans. Great fit. Wonderful pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. I have worn them a few times so I should have said they were comfy too.

      Delete
  3. I like your jeans very much, and the embroidery looks fab.
    I've not seen what height style arc drafts for, and for what it's worth, in 174cm, and their pants lengths always seem to work for me.
    I know what you mean about the dry at this time of year. We were heading to dust bowl conditions, with dams just about as low as I've ever seen them. Three days of rain, though, and the grass and weeds have sprang out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou ! I accidentally left a tap on last night watering my herb garden. Oops. The herbs look good. Luckily still water in the tank. please send some of your rain down here.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Janine they look great! The pockets look great but the jeans are a really great fit. I think the dark thread still makes them look like jeans. Really impressive and I think you should embroider everything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These jeans look great. I might buy the pattern as I've always thought making jeans was too complicated. I do like Stylearc patterns but I make adjustments as I found the legs of pants too short and the length of some tops too long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just finished mine this evening and was a little anxious trying them on, (although I have made StyleArc trousers previously and they fit me very well). I am sold! I followed the construction order and my pockets are low, but my son tells me that they look fine. Unlike you however, I think I have about 5cm of leg length to chop off and hem tomorrow :) I don't care about the Mum Jeans elasticised waist tbh, I have earned some comfort :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Funny I was nervous about trying them on too. What if all that sewing was for nothing. I like your take on the elasticated waist. I think i have have earned ( and eaten ) some comfort too !

      Delete
  7. Yes, you must make more of these in different fabrics - the fit looks good on you! As for elastic waist, much nicer than a bulky waistband around the middle. Your pockets look good - but I think I would have given up with the embellishment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will make more pants But I need to sew more of my patiently waiting fabrics before I buy more.

      Delete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.