Thursday 6 September 2018

Sewing Stash from the Abyss .




My latest sewing ticks a few boxes -replacing old garments, using ancient stash and trialling new patterns.
The  above top uses a Vogue pattern 8982  by Katherine Tilton . I made view E .I  thought this was a pattern for a shirt but it is for a vest / jacket so I had to make a couple of modifications to  make this work. Many reviews stated that it runs large so  I cut out size 10 instead of my usual 12 . Looking at the photos on the front cover I could see the arm hole is very low so I raised the  bottom by about an inch. The result is a top that still has plenty of room but won`t flash my camisole.


I used two pieces of navy and white ditsy floral cotton that Mum gave me 10 years ago . Turns out the fabric was really skirt pieces . I had no idea. I managed to just squeeze the main pattern pieces onto the fabric. I did not  have enough  fabric  for the armhole facings but I like the bias binding better anyway and not enough for  the bottom hem facing which wasn`t necessary as well. The small print covers up all the interesting seams of the shirt but it looks lovely on the inside. The shirt was quite easy to sew  and all the pieces came together really well. 




I am really happy with the fit and the style. Despite the interesting seams being lost in my fabric it still has the shaped and lovely hem line . I will have to make this again and try emphasise those curved seams (  my list of to do one day projects is getting  impossibly long ) . 


My next project was to make a much needed long sleeved winter PJ top  ( I only have one other ! ).It was a perfect opportunity to trial an unused pattern with another piece of 10 year old stash . Nothing to lose. The pink fabric is that old fashioned polycotton interlock with not much stretch or recovery . 


I used this T shirt pattern from Ottobre Spring /Summer 2016 . It appears to be fitted around the shoulders and bust and flares  out at the waist and hip . I obviously lengthened the sleeves and had a bit of fun practising some machine embroidery. 
The top is easy to make but I have the same criticism that it is hard to trace Ottobre patterns because there is no distinction between the different sized pattern lines. My top did not seem to flare as much at the bottom as I was expecting but it still makes a very comfy PJ top which I  have worn heaps with our cold weather. I am not sure if I will make it again though . 
Now for some reason I always get a bit worried about sewing with really old fabric. Sometimes I have thought so much about what it will become that I think I will be sick of the garment before I have even worn it. But so far I always get double the pleasure from wearing them and satisfaction of using the fabric . Silly and a bit weird I know. 

Now with these garments finished my sewing room is actually looking a bit tidy . Using the Katherine Tilton pattern fulfills my personal sewing challenge to use my unused patterns. A couple of years ago I blogged about my pattern piles and looking back at that post my piles have definitely shrunk. The patterns below are what I have left to make but that will keep my busy for a long time . I have cut out the paper pattern pieces for the Marcy Tilton Vogue  bag pattern 8407 ( all rectangles ! ) and will have a play around with some fabric scraps I have . 


The magazines in the picture above are a lucky gift from my eldest daughter travelling around the world in her gap year. These are magazines I could not get in Australia . My favourite is the Patrones but I have picked out something from each magazine to make . So what is the oldest fabric anyone else has used and do you have reservations about sewing it ? 

6 comments:

  1. Love the vest! And you have so many interesting plans in your line up. I have several 10 year pieces of fabric in the stash that I know longer remember what they're purpose was to be and a new one hasn't occurred yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Catherine. I hope you get to use it one day. I still have heaps of this ' old ' stuff left.

      Delete
  2. I thought 8982 was a shirt pattern too. Your version is lovely, and I like that you showed the seams on the inside.

    The oldest fabric I’ve used was over 30 years old, it was an elderly quilt cover and I used for a toile for my daughter. I wonder about using old elastic and fusibles. I think they deteriorate over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the toile was successful and as it wearable. I would rather trust a politician than 30 year old elastic.

      Delete
  3. Hi Janine , I came across your blog tonight by accident ( I was checking out Knitwit Perth .. that led me to search images of one of their patterns. You were wearing that pattern ...and here i am! lol) How happy i was to see live in Australia. Your shop/pattern recommendations are helpful and I know what you're talking about. I am inspired now to pull out some fabric and get sewing ... one of my biggest problems is having to clear the table & pack up my stuff half finished. It just never comes back out! I started to make the Vogue Katherine Tilton 8982 that you did ... wort case scenario is I altered it and I am hoping I recorded on the envelope what I did!! Woopsie!! I think I cut the armholes to the smaller size , as like you I sometimes find the one size is too big. Can I ask how you go fitting your clothes? Do you find standard sizing suits most of the time? I am so confused with what I measure to (Size 18) and I wear size 14 off the rack. My shoulders are small ,but my bust is larger. So I need room but not baggy! Do you have any fitting tips please? Regards, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old elastic, fusible interfacing and thread usually are jettisoned. Might use thead and appropriate weight interfacing in a toile.

    I used to design and make about 80% of my wardrobe, but life completely eliminated the limited free time at my disposal for over two decades. That resulted in fabric over 25 years old! Eeek! lol

    Still love most of it. My taste in fabric has not changed much, although--sadly--my size has, necessitating rethinking my original sewing plans. I wear a lot of related separates that can transition from office appropriate to semi-casual, so yardage that was expected to yield seven or eight garments now encompasses five or six.

    A small amount of print fabrics has been donated, as they were intended as children's gifts before my life was upended. Somehow, those children kept growing and all of them have morphed into pretty terrific adults!

    Taja


    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.