Thursday 5 September 2019

Burdastyle 04/2019 -Belt Bag Skirt .





I super love this issue of Burdastyle . There are so many designs I would love to make eventually.  But I got a quick start on the magazine by sewing up the skirt with the cute little belt bag pocket thing .
I used some really old striped twill which was leftover from a pants making saga ( more on that later ) . The fabric is at least 14 years old and I wonder if it just old enough to look dated , or old enough to look vintage or if I am ahead of a new stripey phase. Whatever,  it is 100% cotton, feels great and the colours in the stripes are quite lovely with pale blue, coral , soft browns and beige . And it was perfect for this pattern as the fabric was  narrow but long  and this skirt uses several  narrower pieces - two skirt fronts , backs and sides.
The skirt was fun and  not difficult to make but there are a lot of steps with the  zipped skirt , the belt , the loops and the pocket .  I made a couple of changes to the pattern. I  lengthened the button tab on the pocket bag to extend all the way to the top , just a look I prefer to the original and lengthened the overall skirt a few cms to stop at my knee . As per usual with Burda the fit was spot on for me.
As mentioned the fabric was left over from making some pants. Arguably pants are the  hardest garments to fit and I had basic issues from the start . It didn`t help that I was using a Patrones magazine in Spanish . I have now found with Patrones that it is hit and miss for me .  This is the pattern I used below.


Pants with two pleats at the waist , side zip , moderately loose fitting and tapering to the ankles.
The first version the legs fit great but I couldn`t get anywhere near to closing the pants at the waist . I went to the largest size and the waist fit but the legs were very loose. I then cut out my main fabric and took the leg seams especially around the thighs in .Of note I use size 44-48 for Patrones and size 38-40 for Burda , the sizing numbers are very different.  The pants are comfortable but not a success. I showed my family and asked if they were too baggy. My husband replied ` What for pajama pants ? ` !! My daughter was obviously diplomatic. I will wear the pants but not beyond the perimeter of my home.




4 comments:

  1. How do you get hold of Burda magazines in Australia?

    I love a stripey skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi , There are a few newsagents that stock them although they are always around 3-4 months later. I found this copy a couple of towns away otherwise I check out Balwyn newsagency near where my family lives. I don't have a subscription as I don't want every issue for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Burda skirt also caught my eye and I want to make it too. Yours turned out great in that stripey fabric! Agree that issue was full of great patterns. The pants turned out very nice too. Stripes are hard to figure out sometimes aren't they? Sometimes they look 'on trend' and sometimes something else. With the right top, maybe even a layered top set..... I think your pants would look great out and about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa . You are being as diplomatic as my daughter but the skirt is a winner.

      Delete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.