Friday 1 November 2019

Marcy Tilton Vogue 8590 - Amateur Bag Making Tips .



 This is the fourth handbag I have now made , they are a bit addictive and fun to sew.  I used Marcy Tilton`s pattern Vogue 8590 which I bought several years ago and some perfectly coordinated fabric which originally was in a kit to make placemats / pillowcases .


I originally wanted to make view D with the double connected bags but after a previous Marcy Tilton bag making experience I realised that no matter how lovely the bags looked a pattern based on a two dimensional rectangle doesn`t create any useful carrying capacity  so View B it was.


View B which is  the smaller tote  has a gathered top created by inserting elastic in a channel and pockets on the ends. It includes an inner zipped pocket and an open pleated pocket . If there is one wisdom I have learnt from making bags it is that I need two inner zipped pockets so that is what I did.


Like the last Marcy Tilton bag I made the pattern pieces are not labelled but included in a larger rectangle which labels the piece and how many you need to cut etc . Also the same pattern pieces are repeated multiple times . This is meant to help if you are using multiple different fabrics but overall I found this a bit confusing,  not helped by having the flu and sciatica at the time of cutting. 
However the sewing directions were very good including for the  inner zippered pockets . I was a bit worried about the elastic insertion but it wasn`t hard as long as there is enough room for your hand to get between the outer and inner handbag. The other change I made apart from adding a second  zippered inner pocket inside was to add a magnetic clasp at the top . The bag has ties here but imagine doing and undoing ties to keep the bag top together . I know I would get sick of that quickly.


 I used some cute vintage buttons to keep the outer end pockets a bit more secure . 
Where I live there is a dearth of sewing shops so I make do with alternative sources for my bag making . I line all the outer handbag pieces with leftover fleecy . It creates a padded more firmer feel but it is not stiff . I used one of my vintage belt making kits for the bag handles inserting the webbing into handles and then fusing them with a hot iron  . The belt webbing is one metre and was the perfect length for the handles . I`m  really pleased with the result so I will be buying these up whenever I see them from now on. I bought a cheap ugly  old bag from the op shop and removed the magnetic clasp to re-use. There was a metal chain as well which I kept but the rest of the bag was discarded .
I think this is the best bag I have made so next time I will be ready to use some favourite home decor fabric I have been saving . 


I was quite surprised to find this is the sixth Tilton pattern I have sewn . I know they are different companies and sisters but apart from the knit  top in the middle of  the upper row I have found some issues with all the patterns ( to be fair the twinset on the left bottom row just didn`t suit me)  . I haven`t really encountered this before so it`s a bit disappointing.  However overall I would recommend this version of this bag pattern. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, you are brave to make a less than 100% positive comment about the Tiltons' patterns. LOL Personally I'm not a Tilton fan, but they do have many exuberant followers. ;)
    I think your bag looks great. I have this pattern. I was also attracted to the "double rectangle" but really like the looks of your bag. I also need zippered pockets. Multiples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! I will watch my back 😉. I could do quite a rant about the Marcy Tilton bag I have sewed previously. The main pattern piece was a rectangle and although had extra pockets and looked great I couldn't fit much in it and I don't carry much by any stretch of the imagination ! The lining instructions were terrible too.

      Delete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.