Saturday 12 August 2017

Simplicity 2501 -Silly Unseasonal Sewing .


I have a good excuse this time to be sewing a summer top in winter .
I have used this fabric previously to sew this skirt


and then last month the  bottom of this skirt .


I had a largish piece left over with a wide short piece,a longer narrower section and a couple of small scraps.

Rather than put it away in the cupboard where it had already lived for probably over 10 years I was determine to make a top which made sense anyway to match my new skirt . I pulled out a few patterns but it wasn't until the third one that I managed to fit all the pattern pieces on . The secret being that this has lots of smaller pieces rather than fewer larger ones.

This is the third time I have made this now and I realise that each time I have used fabrics where there is not much yardage. So I highly recommend this pattern in general but especially if you have limited fabric . Of course this pattern is OOP and I was shocked to realise that it was released back in 2009. It has a vintage vibe but I really like the gentle peplum . I never got onto the peplum bandwagon a few years back because I don't think they suit me but with this pattern the peplum does not stick out too much .






The front has small pleats in the bodice while the back has darts . The peplum is finished with a narrow hem but I did not follow Simplicity's instructions for this . I use a technique described in threads where you turn up the fabric and sew  a very narrow hem , trim the excess fabric and then fold this up and sew again which encloses the raw edge . Easier and accurate if you sew slowly. I used bias binding to finish the back neck and front facings but ironically I had to buy more thread to do the last couple of buttonholes as result . Should have just overlocked the facings ! I did not use the supplied facings for the armholes ( not enough fabric ) but more bias binding . I love this fabric , linen being a material I have rarely had the pleasure of using but it is all gone now . I think I will ` retire ` this Simplicity pattern now too as even though all three versions are different , they all still reside in the wardrobe and I don't want to get bored of them. 
Happy Sewing Janine. 

6 comments:

  1. Nothing like off season sewing, if that is what you feel like doing - sometimes at the end of winter, one doesn't feel like starting something that may not be worn until next winter! I'm with you, once you have a piece of fabric half used, it's good to get the rest used up - otherwise you have bits and pieces of leftovers everywhere. And, result, a very pretty top. I agree, peplums can be a bit risky, but this once looks nice, a more tailored look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy the challenge of using up odd-shaped remnants too. You've done well with this pattern, looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Liz and Paola . I loved working with this fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That blue is lovely colour on you. A great top that goes so well with your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find it really satisfying using up scraps. The blue is a pretty colour and I really like the gentle peplum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely top! The skirt is also really stunning! Of course these are my favorite all time colors too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.