Sunday 6 May 2018

Style Arc Winnie-The-Top .



I have been continuing on with the sewing theme of making alternative casual comfy winter wear to tracksuit pants. I ordered this black and white jacquard knit online and it was quite a surprise when it came. I wasn`t expecting the print to be so large and so  loud - ah the hazards of online fabric shopping. A positive though was I received a generous cut .
I used my Winnie Top pattern from Style Arc , a freebie when I bought the Blakeley jeans pattern. Sometimes I wait to buy Style Arc patterns until I really like the free offering and this was one of those  patterns. It reminds me  of the popular Toaster and Talvikki sweaters .


This is an easy top to sew but has stylish features - the funnel neck , the hem splits and the just right amount of modern ease . The instructions on this one were easy to understand and I like how they construct the hem split which looks professional and very  neat.






















Included in the patterns were little name tags - a lovely bonus . It sure came in handy too because telling the front from the back is near impossible. The only difference I could see is in the cut of the armscye .
As I said I received a generous cut of fabric so there was just enough to cut out a skirt . I chose to resew a Knipmode skirt that I made last year but was a total wadder due to the fabric but also operator flaws. It is just a simple pull on  slightly pegged elastic skirt but the elastic does not extend all the way around the front . I was determined that such an easy pattern was not going to defeat me. This time I cut out the notches marking the top of the skirt pieces and the waist seam. Once the fabric is cut out and held up it looks like a rectangle but this is deceiving and is one of the reasons my skirt failed last year . It also helped that although this fabric has some stretch it has good recovery as well unlike the fabric that I used last year .



      
The loudness of the print is growing on me and  I might or might not wear the skirt and pullover together but overall I am pretty happy with the results .  I will definitely be sewing Winnie again.

10 comments:

  1. I love the top! All because of the print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Now it is getting cold I get to wear it for real !

      Delete
  2. I can see why you're happy with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like these. The top on its own looks really casual, but combined with the skirt it is tranformed into smart work wear. I understand your concerns about the large print. I've been sitting on a large knitted (not print) rust and black fabric for many years, but this totally works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou Anna and Karey. I do like the largeness of the print and it is also raised giving the fabric an interesting texture .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both pieces actually look good on you. Sometimes it takes the eye a while to adjust to a whole new look. And with these two pieces you have plenty of wearing choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Sarah Liz. Sometimes it does take me a while to get used to new looks and incorporate new pieces into my wardrobe. Once I do they stay for years and then they are hard to get off.

      Delete
  6. Great outfit and having a top and skirt in the same fabric gives you lots of flexibility. I think because the print is monochrome it doesn't look too much worn together at all, especially styled with black tights and boots as you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure if this was something that would be OK or just too much.

      Delete
  7. Looks good. Thanks for the review on the top. I might have to add it to the list.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.