Monday 31 October 2011

October 2011 - The Good and The Bad and a Retrospective - Simplicity 2724.

Unfortunately most of October involved work and little play - meaning not much sewing. I finished my Simplicity `Fabric from Hell` Dress and one other simple top which I will blog about later. I am not complaining though because the tragic and terrible health circumstances of my co-workers loved ones meant they could not work and I had to fill in whenever possible.

On a bright note though at the end of October my husband and I had a long weekend in Hobart , Tasmania. This was our first weekend away without children in 18 years ( and previously we have only had 2 other single nights away ) made even better because the trip was free - I was very lucky and won a competition.

The trip included 2 nights accomodation at the Islington Hotel - a small boutique hotel in Hobart and by far the most beautiful , luxurious place we have stayed at , meals and a boat  trip to Bruny Island. We also went to Mona , an amazing art gallery and took a self -guided trip around Battery Point and the city looking at the historical buildings . To make you feel better the weather on the day of the boat trip was appalling and I was very sea-sick although managed not to be sick. At one stage we were surrounded by a ` superpod` of 100 dolphins and I didn`t even care - the view of the horizon was absolutely enchanting !

Anyway the relevance to sewing is that I finally had a chance to wear a dress I sewed last December - Simplicity 2724.
The top part is made of some scrap cream fabric and skirt from a chartreuse silk/linen blend - the latter is absolutely luscious.

My only regret with this dress is that I did not line the skirt portion . I am not completely sure about the pleated  sleeves and  may  remove them later ( however looking at this photo, the sleeves look OK ) . I love this pattern because the various top / skirt variations that can create entirely different looking garments.The top takes very little material so is a good way to use up scraps that are too small for anything else and too good to discard. I would highly recommend this pattern and definitely want to sew it again .   Unfortunately it is OOP. I am now off to see what horse won the Melbourne Cup this year. Cheers until next time, Janine .

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win! That must have been a very nice surprise indeed. I have this pattern and have hummed and haaed about making it up- it looks pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a lovely and well-deserved holiday! And your dress is lovely, I agree with your second opinion on those sleeves, that they are very nice; and interesting to look at. Plainer sleeves would be... well, plainer. I love them just the way they are!
    A silk/linen blend does sound rather luscious and that colour is one of my favourites. You made something really beautiful, and worthy of that lovely fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your luxury weekend away sounds really lovely and your dress looks beautiful. I love the combination of fabrics and, personally, I really like the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heee! You look fabulous with these two pieces of clothing, Love, love this combination of clothing and the colors look so sweet together ....
    Oh! .. And I´m really jealous of your wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.