Friday 14 October 2011

Simplicity 2369 - The Fabric from Hell into the Dress from Heaven.


Siimplicity pattern 2369 with fabric .
Simplicity 2369 showing sleeve, pleat and buckles details.


I finally completed this dress last week and I am VERY happy with the result. It almost ended up a wadder and in the rubbish because initially the fabric was from hell and trying to sew the seams and pleats etc ended up with LOTS of skipped stitches. However, persistence and internet help prevailed and the finished dress is  a SUCCESS.
Last school holidays I bought a British magazine called Sew which came with this `free` pattern.  . Simplicity 2369 is a wardrobe pattern for tops, pants and dresses -there are three sleeve options included . Obviously I sewed the dress, using View C sleeves and cut the dress length in the middle between Views A and B . Apart from fabric and thread, the only other notion was a belt buckle and I found a black buckle that was exactly the right size for only 50cents from the op shop ! A very lucky find.
The instructions were really good - so I think even a fairly new sewist could tackle this. I love the front pleated wrap along with the attached band which pulls the front inwards and provides coverage and prevents  gaping. I think the front wrap is also flattering and help to conceal less than flat tummies
Overall I would highly recommend this pattern .
Cheers until next time Janine.

14 comments:

  1. So glad you found a solution to the skipped stitches you were dealing with. The finished garment looks lovely. I think this is a fantastic pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After all the problems you had with the fabric you ended up with a fabulous dress. A beautiful style and very flattering. Perseverance definitely pays. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely worth all the grief this fabric gave you! Your dress looks fabulous - the details of the style are lovely and very flattering. And I really love the colours in the print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great dress! I'm sorry the fabric misbehaved but the end result is wonderful. Now I want to haul out this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for persistence. This dress looks wonderful on you. Now you've got me wondering where I have this pattern stashed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very lovely dress on you Janine, and i love the print that you have used - congrats! I bought that pattern a little while ago, but have yet to make it up. At the moment, all i've done is alot of procrastination about sewing and no actual sewing!
    What part of country Vic are ou from? I live in the Latrobe Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dress looks terrific on you. When I have fabric from hell it generally turns into the dress from the same place, so this must be particularly satisfying. Your research paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi janine- thanks for your comment. Small world indeed! I was born in west gipps( warragul hospital- and so was my husband!) my parents used to live at drouin east in the late 60s as my Dad taught at the primary school there then!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely dress, well worth persisting with the pattern and this fabric! It looks just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So beautiful! It really was worth all the work and time invested in this, the fit is perfect and it will certainly wear a lot, I'm happy to "stumble" with you! I follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for your daughter's help with the Japanese! We did work out this much; the first kanji is "pulling through" and the second two characters are Katakana; meaning hair" and "hole" respectively. I just wish I knew more about what that actually means!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I meant to add; good luck to your daughter with her exams! My son is doing his final exams soon too, including French...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janine, I have this very pattern out on my to do pile, and I have hesitated to make it until I saw someone else write about it. Your dress looks fabulous. It's a beautifully flattering fit and looks wonderful on you! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your dress and the fabric is beautiful (even though it was from hell). I have just ordered this pattern and am waiting for it to arrive from the US. Thank you for joining my blog. It enabled me to find your blog. I will follow your projects with interest.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.