Saturday 20 September 2014

Burda 10/2004 - Flappy Love Jacket .

Apparently DH the photographer doesn`t think I need the top of my head. 


Finally finished my jacket and just in time to catch the last of the cold weather .
This plush soft red fine cord came from Clear It  in February this year . I was lucky and got the last end bit. However this limited what pattern I could use. I debated a few patterns but finally chose Jacket 110 from Burda WOF dated October 2004 ! Almost up to date for me .
I loved all the flappy bits on this jacket - some useless - the R front flap , pocket flaps and some useful - the hidden zip placket and lower button  tab  . It also has pockets in the front princess seams.

I was lucky because this pattern was the pattern in pink sewing course but there were still a few  brow furrowing , head scratching moments . Many of the instructions were illustrated and there were more written  details BUT I discovered a mistake in the separating  zip application - luckily  I had only tacked half of it in before I realised the error.
I have never sewn a hidden zip placket before but once that was complete the rest of the construction was basic. I did not sew the cuffs ( I just lengthened the sleeves )  or add the shoulder tabs because I only had four of my lovely buttons recycled from a jacket I sewed in the 90s. Also I sewed this a size larger than usual because the jacket looked very slim fitting on the model and I want to wear this over cardigans and jumpers . The jacket feels about right for this but the shoulders were too long so I had to shorten them . The jacket , pockets  and right front flap are lined in just a plain black lining .

Flappy love. 

I love these buttons .

I am right pleased with this jacket  but  glad its over . ( I tend to get a bit bored if projects go on too long )
Also I have almost finished reading a kindle book so I am in that exciting place where I get to choose all new projects- yay -  Now I just need to  ignore that large pile of mending glaring at me .
Happy Sewing Janine.

PS - I`ve been told by Bruna from sewing group  that the front flap is actually to stick the end of a gun there so it doesn`t get wet or whatever . So still useless to me : )

5 comments:

  1. What a great jacket Janine. It's a lovely colour. Interesting about the front flap being for storing a gun! Clear It is a favourite fabric shop for me - terrific bargains to be had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks warm and cosy which might be partially due to it being red. The fabric does look lovely quality cord from the photos. I have the short attention span thing going on as well. I always get bored during big sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even with only half a head, I can see the colour suits you nicely. A beautiful jacket, something to really look forward to for next year.

    My father, (and he would have got the knowledge from his father), that ladies in Victorian times in England used to carry a pistol in their muffs - it was a small pistol, called a muff pistol. Times were rough then, and I dare say a well dressed lady was quite a target. No doubt that was also why they were chaperoned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this jacket, for the corduroy, the color and the style. Fantastic Janine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your effort has paid off. A lovely jacket.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.