Tuesday 10 February 2015

Another Round of Spots - New Look 6100




First of all thank you  SarahLiz for confirming I am a light Spring because it is easy to second guess yourself
even after going through the steps on the site a couple of times .
Barbara  here is the link -  www.thechicfashionista.com .  This will take you to the main site .Then click on fashion 101 at the top and then on colors . I tried to link directly but it didn`t work for some reason.  Also  I hope the site doesn`t have any issues with it but for what it is worth it doesn`t seem to ( this coming from a virtual computer illiterate ) .
BeaJay - Exactly !!  your thoughts about the colour analysis what if you don`t really like them or you love ones that aren`t in your group - life is too short to be conscripted to certain rules . However I realise that  I tend towards the colours that suit me   - I prefer cream over white , navy over black , softer muted colours over  really bright ones anyway.


OK , onto the shorts. I have made three pairs of New Look 6100 this year with one pair yet to come !
Two pairs were muslins - black and white spots and navy and white spots plain cotton before moving onto the `real ` fabric - a stretch cotton sateen with a circle pattern  from Spotlight last year . In the end I went down two sizes from my daughter `s measurements because the ease added was a lot and I was using a stretch fabric and she did not want baggy shorts.

The I have to maintain my status as favourite child pose. Just a family joke really and honestly .  


The I can`t  believe I am posting this on the internet shot. 

The shorts has a curved waist band/ yoke, front angled pockets and a side zip . They were fairly simple and came together well but trying to pattern  match circles in the front, sides, yokes, pockets  etc sent me loopy and in the end didn`t work out  the way  I wanted ( but I don`t think DD cares ) . I should say I made the straight leg pair but there is a flared leg version which would  look good in a drapey patterned rayon .

The real pair of shorts with my annoying pathetic attempt at pattern matching . 
Now my eldest DD wants a pair just like above and because I bought a ridiculous amount of fabric there is enough left over ( but I am sneaking in some selfish sewing for me beforehand )
PS I should clarify I don`t have a favourite child and because very rarely my family looks at this blog I love you all !

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link to thechicfashionista.com . I look forward to checking out the site. The polka dots shorts are adorable. Check out The Sartorialist and the Sonia Delauney dots – large and small. Amazing.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for thanking me :). BeaJay is right too, about using colours. Even in the old days there was a lot more to it than simple Spring, Winter, Summer, Autumn, although many operators were quite prescriptive. Some still are, and others have swung the other way, to wear what you like. And some people hate colours that suit them, but that is a situation to be creatively worked around. Your daughter looks gorgeous in those shorts - they are just so cute. As far as the pattern matching is concerned, not too bad at all - this looks like a Spotlight cotton sateen, and I find many of the patterned sateens from Spotlight often are not straight, so it makes it hard to align patterns. Oh dear, my grammar is not good today - I'll blame the humidity - but I'm sure you get the gist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughters are lucky to have you sew for them. Pattern matching is so tricky. Pattern matching was one of the challenges in the first episode of the third series of the Great British Sewing Bee which has just started on the BBC. If you are a fan of this show (as I am) you can find this episode on youtube or on the Tessuti blog, which is how I found out that a new series had started!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh at your "favourite child" references. My children and I have a running joke too on this theme. If they start to complain about being hardly done by (mainly being asked to do some chore when they think the other is getting off scot-free) I say it's because they are currently not the favourite. Tongue in cheek, of course, but they don't always appreciate the humour;)
    I think the shorts look very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is that a rammed-earth wall I see in the background? Did you make the rammed-earth wall? If so, I'd love to know more about it.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. The shorts are lovely. I really like the fabric you have chosen and the style. I had to laugh at the favourite child comment. My kids say the same thing. I now tell them my daughters bf is my favourite because he is my go to man for dishes!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.