Saturday 28 February 2015

Knipmode May 2012 -Amazing Technicoloured Dream Skirt .


 Hello , I have finished sewing a new outfit in February .



Pattern Used - Knipmode May 2012 - Skirt ( Rok 16 ) . Out of my 4 Knipmode magazines this is my favourite. There are heaps of patterns I want to sew and this particular one was not even on my radar.
I was inspired by a photo of Princess Mary wear a gently pleated colourful skirt with a cowl necked satin top . I finally chose this pattern - a semi-circle skirt with deep box pleats in the front  and in-seam pockets .
The pattern is well drafted and the markings on the pieces are all the directions you need if you have sewn heaps of skirts before.

Fabric - Liberty Tana Lawn - This was a special gift from an English friend posted to me 4 years ago . The print is called Ian Rhodes and was from the Spring/Summer 2011 collection. She suggested I sew a dress and I even bought a couple of dress patterns for this but finally decided I would get more wear by making a skirt and fabric like this deserves to be worn. It is an unusual  liberty print made up of rectangles of   muted  colours of aqua, rose, terracotta , indigo, chartreuse , ecru etc. The colours are so crazily varied but somehow it works ! This is the first time I have ever made myself a garment from Liberty and hopefully not the last. I lined the skirt with some blue whatever stuff that was in my stash as the lawn is too fine as is for a skirt.

 I was so hyped up from sewing this Liberty ( finally ) that I went and bought some - for  another  friend- paying it forward so to speak . She is turning 50 this year and is a seriously good seamstress ( like drafting her own designs, only using natural fibres, proficient at fitting  etc ) . There are hundreds of designs to chose from but the decision was really easy because I chose the one that has her  professional name - how seriously cool and weird  is that -having a liberty fabric name the same as your own .

Now I have so many tops that  match this skirt already but a project like this deserves a new one . So I also sewed a new top .                                                                        


Pattern Used - Simplicity 2418.
Fabric  - Navy charmeuse from the Clegs remnant sale in 2012 . If ever there was a way to slow down your sewing then charmeuse is it.
Slippery and difficult but beautiful. A real prima
donna of fabrics .






And then because I was procrastinating making yet another pair of New Look shorts for my eldest daughter I went and sewed yet another top to match.


Pattern - Simplicity Threads wardrobe  Pattern - 4368 . It includes patterns for a jacket , pants, skirt and top . I love the square neckline with three little pintucks . It only took one metre of fabric and it includes sleeves !
Fabric - lemon light weight silk look dupioni .

OK so now I really don`t have any excuses to not sew that fourth pair of shorts - sigh.
Hope everyone is having a great weekend . Janine.


12 comments:

  1. Oh you have been busy! The skirt looks lovely and goes really well with all those tops. I know what you mean about procrastination. I stupidly promised my daughter a new jacket this morning for winter. I have so many projects I want to get through that my promise was not really well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely skirt and tops. Very nicely done. Love that square neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a beautiful skirt. And lovely tops too. I need to be brave like you and cut into the liberty fabrics adorning my stash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been very busy! All three garments are lovely and I especially like your Liberty lawn skirt. Such a great idea for your friend's 50th birthday present, she'll appreciate your thoughtfulness. Have you caught up on the current third season of The Great British Sewing Bee? All the episodes are available on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna,no I haven't seen these episodes because I had the impression I couldn't access them. I will be watching now!

      Delete
  5. Oh I really love all three pieces. I can't work out which top I like better.. but do I have to choose? I love that yellow top - square neckline, raglan sleeve with tucks... yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful. Everything. Skirt. Top. Woman. Wall. Not necessarily in that order.
    I've only ever made clothing using Liberty fabrics twice. One was a cotton, fairly heavy and the was wool challis. Both were a dream to sew. I wish every fabric sewed up like that. I hope you had a delicious experience sewing your skirt.
    Vancouver Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. The skirt's beautiful and the new tops go with it so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone ! Everybody should get to sew liberty at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all these garments - simple and elegant. Liberty fabrics are a delight to sew with - and with so many colours in the skirt, with matching tops you should be able to wear it often - which will be wonderful, because Liberty fabrics deserve to be worn and seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a stunning outfit! You look amazing xx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.