Saturday 3 October 2015

Scrap Skirt One - The ( Faux ) Luxe Version .


I`m continuing on with clearing out scraps . I don`t like waste and  also find it a creative challenge to make the most with what I have.   I have had a small piece of ( faux silk )  satin in my cupboard for a looong time that was just not big enough to do anything with .It was starting to bug me what I could use it for .  For some reason I thought it might make a nice skirt flounce . I pulled out my navy blue fabrics and found the best match was with the ( faux ) suede a leftover from making my Mum a pair of pants and matching sleeveless jacket 13 years ago !
I then found three flounce skirt patterns but chose one from Burda April 2005 - this is the same issue that has the twist top that was really popular 10 years ago .
I changed the skirt a bit - it had a zip on the side and the skirt front had a centre seam with a split at the bottom. I changed the skirt so the back had a centre seam allowing the zip and split to be in the back.

I finished the skirt last week and was able to wear it out a couple of nights later to Hamlet at the local Arts Centre . I wore it with the navy charmeuse top I sewed earlier in the year and felt quite appropriately dressy and swishy . Unfortunately though it did not help me understand Shakespeare any easier although by the second half I worked out the plot . ( I didn`t study Hamlet at school - we did Macbeth and The Merchant of Venice ) .

I am in the midst of making another scrap skirt - this will be more a day / casual version but it is taking a bit longer because I am going to embellish it  . And there is  still some suede/ satin fabric leftover which I am hoping will be enough for a bag !
Happy Sewing Janine.

9 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I hate looking at all those left over pieces as well. I am currently trying to clear out some of them before I buy any more fabric. I really like your new skirt. The suede looks really lovely with the shiny fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made a very lovely skirt. It's interesting how creativity comes to the fore when choices are limited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius scrapbust. I love the mix of textures with the dull and shiny. The go together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabrics work really well together. Lovely skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your outfit looks really elegant. I love the textures together, makes the monochrome so much more interesting. So many scraps ... so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great - keeping to one colour seems to ensure the fabrics work well together. I am just making a skirt with two contrasting pieces that would lend itself to a "scrap" skirt. And while I hate waste I do take my offcuts to the charity shop where they assure me they do sell to others so they are not wasted and the charity makes money too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great - keeping to one colour seems to ensure the fabrics work well together. I am just making a skirt with two contrasting pieces that would lend itself to a "scrap" skirt. And while I hate waste I do take my offcuts to the charity shop where they assure me they do sell to others so they are not wasted and the charity makes money too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a very nice skirt, well done, and the outfit looks perfect.
    Hamlet is all the rage in London these days (Cumberbatch), but so is Macbeth (in the cinema, which might be easier to buy tickets for!).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea - and it certainly works, the skirt looks just right.

    Hamlet is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays - well, they all are, really, but I did study drama, so tend to get the reasons why a plot is formed the way it is, or what the subtexts might be. Hope you enjoyed it, once you got into understanding what you were watching. I always make sure I research a play, along with who is doing that version, who the designer is etc,to get the most out of it before attending.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.