Thursday 22 September 2016

Simplicity 1280 - A Surprise Winner.


This is my favourite sewing out of my recent projects. It is the cross over top from Simplicity 1280 which is a very popular pattern for good reasons as I have discovered.
I was hesitant about this style because I carry most of my extra fluff around my lower tummy and thought this cross over elasticized top might emphasize it. But I really liked the versions I have seen so gave it a shot anyway.
I used a piece of chiffon which has been hanging around close to a decade 😳 . The pattern says you need 1.4 metres  of 1.5 metre wide fabric but I only had 1.25 so I was really happy when I managed to not only squeeze out the  top with this but also lengthened the sleeves to reach my wrists.
The  other change I made was instead of adding elastic to the sleeve hems I made bias binding strips the same width as the neck band to finish off the sleeves. Personally I find this more comfortable than elasticized sleeves but that could be because I cut the elastic too short.

As others have noted it really is a modest top with the deep cross over pieces. It is very easy to sew but you do  need a soft drapey fabric for it to work. The chiffon was perfect for this. I did not sew any extra stitches to secure the fronts because I think that kind of changes the way they fall and I did not find it necessary.  I highly recommend this pattern and also want to try out the other style top included in the pattern.I have included what is a totally useless hanger shot where all details are obscured by the print !






Happy Sewing Janine.

5 comments:

  1. It is really pretty! I made this but found I didn't care for the sleeves. Wish I had thought to remove the elastic and just bind it. Very good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sleeves look so much better without the elastic - so much more stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just the perfect sort of blouse for middle torso fluff - because it skims the area nicely but still gives the illusion of a waist. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a pretty style and I really like the print you chose. I made a similar style but sadly mine was not quite as successful probably due to my pear/hourglass shape.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute top especially paired with red! Great idea about binding the sleeve hem instead of inserting elastic. It really looks lovely on you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.