Sunday 29 January 2017

Boho Tunic - Kwik Sew 3670


Late last year I fell in love with some navy chiffon printed with peacocks and attempted to sew a Kwik Sew tunic I have made once before. It was an utter dismal failure and I was ready to chuck in the towel . I have faced a few life challenges behind my smiley face photos and darn it if I am going to let a mere fabric and sewing pattern defeat me . In a previous blogpost I wrote about my win over the fabric.


So that was the chiffon fabric under control but I was unhappy that I had failed at making up the pattern which I successfully made before and loved ! Kwik Sew 3670.


So back to the stash cupboard . Mum gave me this boho print crinkled georgette ( there must have been about 5 metres ! ) and learning from my chiffon nightmare I gelatinised the georgette until it was almost crisp . I then very carefully pinned  the sides of the fabric together to match the wide patterned stripes . The pattern pieces were placed , pinned and cut like I performing some delicate surgery . I really was determined to  make this work. Well all that preparation was the hardest part because with the treated fabric it was relatively easy to sew up the tunic. This really is an interesting pattern with a rectangular extension of the front pattern piece gathered and then folded over the front yoke / sleeve part.


The only thing I am not quite happy with is the somewhat wobbly hem but if I try to level this out the black patterned stripe  at the bottom will look off so I would rather the wobbly hem. Obviously I did not quite have the fabric straight  when I was cutting it but I did manage to match the stripey pattern at the side really well but forgot to take a photo so you will just have to take my word for it.
Overall I  love the tunic - the patterns and colours and  the fact that I conquered the pattern as well . No more frustration at being bettered by fabric and pattern. I think this version will be as successful as my last one which came to  nasty end after a run in with a velcro vest .
Well January is obviously an energising sewing month for me because I have also completed a dress .
So until next time Happy Sewing everyone. Janine.

5 comments:

  1. I'm having fabric and pattern issues with a simple knit top at the moment so I can relate to your frustration. I haven't tried the gelatine thing myself, so it is good to read about your success. Nice result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such gorgeous fabric and your tunic looks terrific on. I think the first thing I read on your blog was the gelatine method for shifty fabrics; yet to try it but it was the first I'd heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your successful chiffon wrestling. The top is lovely, and the hem issue is completely invisible to me even after you pointed it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very nice tunic Janine. I have this pattern and have made the shorter version. I might just have to a go at the longer tunic. It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a chuckle at this - as you say, a bit of a sewing and fabric challenge would be nothing compared to some that you have had. It's a very nice top with the central pleat feature. The gelatine trick seems to work nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.