Thursday 27 April 2017

Patrones Especial - The Skirt of Many Angles .



 Better late than never perfectly describes finally getting around to using my one and only Patrones magazine. I was so excited to find it for sale in a Melbourne newsagent  that I snatched it up but alas I only ever saw one other issue for sale and did not buy it !  Ah regrets . I think this must have been around 2010 .


The issue is number 292 and there are lots of great patterns in it  ranging from quite basic to artistic to extremely fashion forward unique designs that I have not even seen in Burda . Likewise the sewing complexity  ranges from advanced beginner to couture level .  The magazine is Spanish and I have assumed like all European sewing magazines that there are no seam/hem allowances included.


I made the skirt on the right . A straight skirt but with lots of  interesting angled pieces involving the pockets , the front waist band and the upper back. 





The pattern came together so well with all the side seams matching perfectly . My only gripe which I should  have realised and altered are that the pockets bags are not that big .                                                            
Also the skirt was not long enough for my tastes . I added some wide ribbon to the bottom to give me a bit more hemming room . 

                                                                                                                                 
The big difference that I noted between Patrones and Burda and Knipmode etc is the sizing. The patterns do not come in all size ranges and are limited to just three . With Knipmode and Burda I make a size 40 but my equivalent sizing with Patrones is 44 ! I am glad I checked this before making any assumptions here .
I used a dark silver grey polyester dupioni - another op shop buy . I bought it rolled up and tied and until I came to make this pattern had never unrolled the fabric so I was delighted to find it had a soft smooth black satin lining . A black lining in a silver cloud ! This saved me lining the skirt as the outer fabric is a bit rough . The pattern recommends a stretch woven but my fabric does not have any stretch . Luckily it still worked and the skirt is comfortable even after road testing it last night and having a four course meal !   In real life the fabric is not as shiny as it is showing up in the photos but at the end of the evening out it was quite crinkled. 
Overall I would highly recommend Patrones magazine and if I ever get the chance to purchase more I will have no hesitations . 

3 comments:

  1. What a great outfit. The top looks terrific with the new skirt too. I love the lines from the yoke at the back meeting at the front. Looks lovely Janine. Good eating skirt too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt is beautiful, agree with Summer Flies. And being polyester, easy to look after and wash as well. I have heard of Patrones, but they are not easy to get here, which is a great pity, given they have such interesting and more challenging styles. I find Burda is now a little too geared to the quick and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou very much girls ! I have now worn the skirt twice and although it creased while sitting down , the creases fell out while standing for a while. Magic !

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.