Saturday 8 April 2017

Sabrina Slouchy Top.


I have been on a personal mission to use all my sewing magazines. This top pattern came from one called Sabrina that I bought in 2013 in Germany. I was totally amazed at the  vast number of sewing pattern magazines available at the train station we stopped at .


In the case of this pattern I think it is best shown by a floor shot !
It consists of a really over sized body with tiny armholes with attached narrow long bands . Hard to believe it is the same top when looked at like this.The only alteration I made to the pattern was to add 8 cms in length .It is hard to tell from the modeled photos but I hazarded a guess that the top was short.  I used up a remnant knit from my Issey Miyake maxi skirt I sewed in 2014 . To make this top work you need a drapey and very stretchy knit .I love the look of this knit - navy with fine silver threads but unfortunately it is cheap quality so already it is pilling and snagging.


Sabrina magazine was a relatively cheap magazine compared to others I have bought - 5.5 euros so about AUS$7.50 . The magazine looks cheap too but lots of patterns are included. Get a look at the line drawings though ! I can only imagine whoever draws these are fulfilling their freestyle artistic fantasies. I did not find them completely helpful . I changed my mind on what pattern to sew from this magazine on the basis that I could not work out what was going on with both the line drawing and photo.   I rely heavily on the line drawings in making up clothes from foreign sewing mags. This one is in German and although I actually studied this language in high school and also relearning German using the duo lingo app ( according to my last assessment I was 7% proficient in German - how optimistic !) this didn`t help  much . I could find little about this magazine on the internet.

Sabrina magazine at the far right.  
The top was very easy to sew and  is comfortable enough to wear and for me a sure sign that something I have sewn is a success is when my youngest daughter said she wouldn`t mind having a top like this too. Overall I am happy with the result and I actually feel a bit trendy too .

7 comments:

  1. That is such a cute top Janine, I'm sorry to hear that the fabric is not holding up though. High praise indeed from your daughter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. Not all my makes get approved by my fashion police.

      Delete
  2. I agree, drawings are essential with foreign language magazines. That and accurate markings on the pattern pieces. A pity about the pilling, but really, a win, because you have used a magazine pattern and used up a fabric that really needs to go. It was a simple make, so better the fabric in this than something complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz. This was the perfect fabric for this uncertain trial and another piece of fabric out.

      Delete
  3. Yes I can see the drawings a bit inaccurate ... I have a Sabrina magazine that a german friend's mother brought for her and she passed it to me. The one I have has some nice basic patterns though. I really like you top... you do indeed look trendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on my attempt of Sabrina I would recommend you have a go at using your mag. I just found out a friend who sews has come back from Germany. If I had known I would have encouraged her to get some of the magazines they have there that we don't ( and perhaps borrowed them as well 😉).

      Delete
  4. Cute, cute top! Glad you included the floor shot because I never wouldn't thought it sewed up like that. I really like it and your daughter has great taste! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.