Thursday 21 June 2018

Sew Your Own Affordable Luxury - Silk and Liberty Lawn Shirts.





 More shirts ! No exaggeration , I love sewing them.
First up a cream silk shirt using Vogue 2634 , an OOP pattern .
I just wanted a very simple pattern to showcase the beautiful cream silk that has a self small chequered pattern . I bought the silk from the op shop last year  for only $2.00 for 4 metres but it is very narrow ( only 72cm wide ) . At the time I was trying to fabric fast so I kidded myself that the silk would be for my daughter who wanted tops made out of natural fibres for her travel overseas in 2018 . Ha ! cream silk must be the most impractical thing in the world for a student travelling on a strict budget.
Just in case she changed her mind though I have quickly made it up while she is still away.
The only variation I made to this pattern was to add vented cuffs from a Kwik Sew pattern. I did not do any top stitching , did not add the pockets and hand stitched the hems to keep the shirt details to a minimum.


 




I used the collar tutorial from Four Square Walls which she took from an old sewing pattern. I remember using this method to sew up a collar / stand when I was in my teens so I went through my old patterns and sure enough I found a Simplicity pattern from the 80s that uses this order of collar construction. It really does make a very nice collar . I can not recommend it enough. 


Next up a liberty lawn shirt . I seem to be the giftee of atypical liberty lawn. This is my second liberty lawn project ,both generous gifts and not a floral in sight !  This particular liberty was a Xmas gift from my husband. It`s funny because he bought this after a Xmas work party in Melbourne . He told his colleagues he was off to The Fabric Store after lunch to buy me a chrissie present. They were apparently horrified that he was making work for me ! On the other hand my sewing group friends were very impressed that he did this off his own bat and said he is a keeper ! 


The pattern is called Matt Madison and consists of diamonds with little scenes of bare branched trees and lakes etc . Very wintery fabric with its grey and olive based tones . Unlike my first Liberty Lawn project I didn`t take years to decide what pattern to make and sew it up. 


I knew I wanted to make a shirt ( well that is all the fabric I had anyway ) and since it is an unusual Liberty I wanted to make a variation of a standard shirt pattern. I used Kwik Sew 3620 another OOP pattern. I love the collar and like the addition of the front ties. Another poorly kept  secret is how much I love the old Kwik Sew patterns and the way the collar is constructed is so neat . I used my rolled hem foot to mainly successfully finish off the front ties ( use your different sewing machine feet - really ! ) 
So there you have it .Two very different but luxury shirts that feel sooo nice to wear but cost a fraction of bought ones .  ( PS I actually really like floral Liberty lawn - I would love to get the  classic Wiltshire pattern with the berries on it . )

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shirts! I particularly love the cream one. I think it was a great decision to leave it plain as it seems to notch it up to very expensive looking shirt. I love the Kwik Sew one too... the tie front is lovely and different. Ha, ha fabric sewing gift and different perspectives... nice one leaving the hint for floral liberty... does your husband read your blog I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shirts. Nothing beats sewing with and then wearing beautiful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two beautiful shirts, congratulations!

    And another collar method for me to gaze at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely, Janine. Great sewing techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More work for you! Your husband needs to keep this up and I am sure you will not complain about the work! A very nice gift indeed, and Liberty is just perfect for shirts. Very unusual print. As for the silk - just such an unusual one - looks a bit like a jacquard? Yes, a plain classic is just right for this. Shirts are very satisfying to make, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both shirts are beautiful and with their colorful differences, would go great with many different bottoms. Your husband did well! And think between the two, the Liberty one might be my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.