Sunday 17 June 2018

SImplicity 9659 - A Feminine Tunic .




   I was reading a new to me blog and realised just how much I enjoy reading chatty sewing blogs and how much I like having a little prattle too. It is an entirely wet and cold day and since I have caught up with the house work I want to do ( dusting and washing floors and cobwebs be damned ) it is time to catch up here too.
I sewed this tunic top 1-2 months ago. It is based on the Simplicity pattern 9659 below and I can not find any reviews of it on the internet . The pattern looks very dated and was bought for a song from the op shop but I liked the collar details , the empire waist and thought it would make a nice tunic top much like the Ebb and Flow pattern from Louise Cutting ( a pattern I don`t think I can buy in Australia ) .

I was also intrigued by the FITRules! on the pattern cover. I wonder if this is an early prototype of the Simplicity`s Amazing Fit patterns. The pattern had different cup sizes and some basic fitting advice .
I used some vintage fabric also picked up from the opshop . It was narrow but there was plenty of it . It has a white etched floral print on baby blue with pretty ditsy roses.

The interestingly shaped collar . I added bias binding to the facings as well. 

The sleeve vents. Several of my recent projects have them. I am obsessed !


Back ties which were popular in the 90s. These ties are not actually needed for shaping but I included them anyway. 
 I am happy with the tunic although the fabric creases like crazy. I won`t make the pattern again . Too many unused Burdas and pattern envelopes with the promise of some European sewing mags to be posted by my daughter having a fantastic overseas  adventure  this year.

I still have a few things to document here - a cream silk blouse  , a panne velvet T shirt , a grey tweed look long vest , a refashioned polar fleece top and a blouse made from my Christmas pressie Liberty lawn and I am just about to finish a pair of Burdastyle pants.
It doesn`t feel like I sew a lot but my sewing corner is my safe happy place and sewing a little bit every so often gets stuff done. My sewing is uncurated ! I pull out patterns and magazines I haven`t made before and match up with fabrics in my cupboard . I will see something someone has made and think that looks great and try sew something similar . I will put out a piece of fabric taking up lots of room and make it up . It all seems to work though . I make what I sew work for me so there are few unloved or disastrous makes even if I just end up wearing them around the house.
I have pulled out a few more wintery  fabrics and have washed and ironed them all ready to cut out and sew
hopefully before the end of Winter.

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty top! The sleeve vent is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your adaptation of the dress. It's a very pretty tunic and works well with your jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and elegant. I have this pattern! I made a dress from it in about 2000, I am now thinking that I should get it out and try it in a tunic version, the collar is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The top looks beautiful in and of itself and on you. Beautiful together. Nice details. Your fabric is probably rayon (wrinkling!) but is beautiful to wear. Comfortable, cool. My favourite fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty top with such interesting design details perfectly paired with your jeans. I enjoy chatty sewing blogs too and seeing a little glimpse into other's lives around the world. And any item I make that doesn't deem good enough to be worn outside the home, is sometimes the most worn around the home! Enjoyed your post!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. Glad to know others like pretty fabric . Kbenco , I am so happy to see you blogging again too and yes make this dress / tunic agan !

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.