Wednesday 7 March 2012

Kwik Sew 3422 - Ebony and Ivory Silver Anniversary Shirt.


A spruced up post title for a black and white striped shirt !
Good in some ways and bad in others , my wardrobe has reached saturation point. I have a handful of summer clothes I have not even worn and it seems that our summer weather is now truly over with all the rain and sadly flooding that is going on . That means I have turned my sewing attention to others and I completed a shirt for my husband.
The last time I sewed anything for my husband ( apart from repairs and hems ) was 25 years ago - hence the silver anniversary shirt. I was  about 19 at the time so had only been sewing occasionally ( during long school/ uni holidays ) for a a few years . He was only my boyfriend at the time but I sewed him a similar button front , collared striped cotton  shirt .However he told me it wasn`t very professional so he never really wore it.
Just to prove that I don`t hold onto grudges :) I decided to have another go at sewing for my now husband ! Now either my sewing skills have improved somewhat or my husband`s diplomacy skills have been refined but this time he said it looked professional and that he liked it and he wore it to work the very next day . ( I suspect that both the sewing and diplomacy skills have improved by the way ) .

I used Kwik Sew 3422 - a pattern for both long and short sleeved shirts with the option of either a one piece or two piece collar. It was printed in 2006 but is still in the current catalogue.
I really like how the front band is cut on - you turn the front band inside and then fold this under creating a self interfaced band with three layers of fabric - so easy -no separate interfacing involved here ( but you do interface the collar and collar stand ) . Also this pattern has a really neat yoke - I took pictures of the process and hopefully will be able to explain more next week  . The seam allowance is only 6mm which is really helpful in applying the collar nicely but I was not able to do flat felled seams with this small allowance so I used a mock flat felled seams instead when you just top stitch the seams on the outside. I was very careful to match up stripes with the pocket placement and where the yoke meets the sleeves. ( Ironically the yokes and sleeves stripes are slightly out despite trying very hard and using my unpicker three time but where I sewed the under and top collar the stripes match perfectly even though I didn`t try and no-one sees this bit .)
I used some shirting cotton that I bought while on holidays in Cairns 18 months ago ( see I had honorable intentions way before the quarter of a century was up ) that was really good  quality - it sewed easily and ironed up nice and crisp which really helps to improve the whole sewing experience.
I was quite chuffed that my husband really liked his shirt so I won`t wait another 25 years to make another one .The other good thing about man sewing is that I will only need the one shirt pattern to satisfy his shirt needs.  I really have to thank Karen of Kbenco because she inspired me to sew this - she makes divine shirts for her husband with really special extra touches .
Also  big shoutout to the Rosedale ASG ( Australian Sewing Guild) . Bruna thankyou so much for inviting me - I had alot of fun being around others who also love sewing and amazingly sewing was done amongst the chatter ! You are all an amazing talented bunch of sewists ( Bruna , Anne, Sue, Lorna and Barbara ) and I look forward to improving my skills and knowledge as well as your camaraderie.
My next project is a nightie for my mother-in-law so until then Cheers .

6 comments:

  1. What a very nice shirt. Working with lovely fabrics makes all the difference, doesn't it?
    Thank you for pointing out my omission, the recipe for Pink Velvet cake is from the Australian Women's Weekly "High Tea" cookbook. I will correct my post to include this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janine, I love this shirt, and I think your husband is lucky that you gave sewing for him one more try. :-) Look at the pocket-perfect match!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband is extremely lucky that you made a second shirt for him;). It is a very smart shirt, and I am rather awed by your pocket stripe matching and across the yoke and sleeves !!! (this made me cross-eyed, thinking about doing it) - should I admit that my fondness for yoke chevrons and cross grain pockets avoid me having to do this?
    Fortunately for me, my husband, when a mere 18 year old boyfriend,on hearing that I liked sewing, displayed to me a shirt made for him by his previous girlfriend, with some disparaging pernickerty comment, so I knew better than to make him anything tricky at all. He had to hint heavily, then plead for his first shirt about 3 years ago and I expect loud expressions of gratitude as the only appropriate reaction when I make one;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janine, such a nicely sewn shirt. How fortunate that your husband has a custom tailored shirt made by you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto! I made my husband a shirt about 25 years ago. It was pink linen...kind of shows its vintage really. I haven't made anything since but recently toyed with the idea when he got a new job and therefore required more work clothes. We ended up buying the shirts at a menswear shop he hasn't shopped in since before we got married...maybe now is the time to introduce some more handcrafted shirts!

    That is a great shirt you have made. I think my plan may come unstuck when I try to find suitable fabric to make a mens shirt from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very hard to find men`s shirting cotton. I now regret not buying more at the time.

      Delete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.