Tuesday 4 December 2012

Burda 7372 - A Spotty Dotty Circle Dress.


Bonjour!  This is the second of my projects for my middle DD using some cotton voile from Spotlight ( actually quite alot of cotton voile - four metres !) . The dress has quite a slim fitting bodice which merges into a large waist and a  circle skirt  . It is has a small mandarin collar, decorative only pocket flaps, inseam pockets  and bias bound armholes.  I used size 12 which is for a bust of 93 cm and the finished garment is only 97 cm so you can see there is not much ease at that particular point. However the waist is huge and shaping is provided by elastic .

This pattern uses four metres or 4 3/8 yards of fabric because of the skirt portion which is  a gathered  circle skirt . If you sew this, take my advice and cut out the skirt portions first - I didn`t and almost didn`t have enough fabric . In the end my daughter wanted me to shorten the skirt by about 13 cms so I went through all that angst for nothing . The  other changes were that  I cut out two yokes so it could be lined. I realise that my old cotton shirts always fade first at my upper back which led to a  totally useless thought that perhaps that is the purpose of  lined yokes .
Also I eliminated the outer fabric  casing where  elastic joined  to a narrow  fabric tie is threaded . Instead I made a channel in the waist / bodice seam and inserted elastic in there before sewing on the front bands. My daughter didn`t want the fabric ties but instead will wear this with a belt .

 A close up of the bodice, flaps, lined yoke and bias bound  armholes.

So now my daughter can be all swirly and girly in her spotty dotty dress but unfortunately she just won`t do that for this blog !

Now I admit I am excited . You see I have not sewn anything pour moi in two months - I am going through serious selfish  sewing DTs so once I finish up some PJ pants for my eldest DD I will get going with a skirt which is just a little bit different to the usual. My middle DD also wanted me to sew her a skirt but I think I will just keep quiet for now and not remind her about that ;) .

Cheers Janine.

6 comments:

  1. Lucky daughter, Janine. The dress is gorgeous and i'm sure your daughter is thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and should get a lot of wear by your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great dress - perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really lovely Janine! Hmm maybe you could refuse to sew any more for your daughters unless they pose for the blog... that way you could get some selfish sewing done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks lovely. It is a shame your daughter will not oblige and model it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Janine. I have nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award / One Inspirational Blogger Award!

    http://cocosloft.blogspot.com/2012/12/one-lovely-blog-award-thank-you-goodbye.html

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.