Sunday 30 December 2012

Kwik Sew 3637 A Circle Skirt and Farewell 2012.

I have managed to complete the final project for 2012 - a  little thrill that I can start 2013 all afresh . My middle daughter did not forget about the promised skirt she requested that I sew her. So ta da - here it is - in all its live modelled glory -yes my daughter agreed to have this photo taken ( after my youngest tricked her and took a photo anyway !)


I used Kwik Sew 3637 , a yoked circle skirt . The fabric is a Japanese cotton lawn from Spotlight - it actually has  a nice hand and is reminiscent of Liberty but without the accompanying $40/metre  price tag. ( I mean it is not as good as Liberty but still a really good substitute ) .Bonus my fabric was on special for only $7.99/metre and there were lots of patterns and colours to choose from   .




The skirt was really simple to sew -it only has two pieces - a yoke- cut out four times  and skirt piece- cut twice .     I did make a couple of  small  changes . I lined the skirt with dark blue cotton voile and surprisingly I found some navy blue ready made piping in my stash which added a nice little touch to the yoke. The only tricky bit of the skirt is the zipper and managing the lining and piping in this area . Also I overlocked the lower edge of the skirt and then made a narrow machine hem .   It does take alot of fabric  - size small uses 2.75 metres  but the resulting  softly cascading folds of fabric look lovely on her .




Well now I am truly ready to start sewing for me again - my pattern is traced  and fabric washed and ironed all ready to go for next year . To everyone have a  Happy New Year . Cheers Janine.

8 comments:

  1. Cute skirt, and I appreciate how hard it is to get pics of DD's modeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, and will be so fun to wear with all that swish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky daughter - the skirt looks super on her! Enjoy New Year's Eve tonight ...J

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely skirt - I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it.

    Have a great New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely skirt Janine and it looks great on your daughter.
    Pretty sure I have that pattern in my collection too! The print you have chosen is pretty - I've got a couple of prints of the Japanese lawn in my stash - I think I paid about $8-99 per metre on sale several months ago.

    Happy new Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful skirt - your daughter is very lucky. I have this pattern, as yet unmade, I must get it out and make it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great match of fabric to pattern - I am sure your daughter will wear this one a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is lovely fabric and is just perfect for the skirt you have made.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.