Wednesday 30 December 2015

Birds and Blossoms Tunic - Knipmode March 2012.

I managed to sew one more garment before 2015 ends !
Here comes a dog !

This one is more like me - I am definitely a print girl and I love sewing button shirts especially with those front insert yokes .
The pattern is from another knipmode -the bonus magazine  to  the main March 2012 issue  . I could see myself sewing everything in this great little supplement .

Yes you can have a pat . 

I used a rayon print from Spotlight - I saw a top made up in an instagram picture ( no idea who because I get really sucked down into the abyss of instagram ) from this fabric and loved it but I was even more delighted when the owner said it was a recent purchase from Spotlight . I have wanted to sew a bird print garment for myself for ages but  have  never found anything suitable.
Again I found the knipmode  pattern well drafted.  It is a tunic with raglan sleeves and shoulder darts , lined front button up inset , long sleeves with slits and cuffs , sleeve tabs so you can roll up the sleeves and a curved hem. The neckline is finished with a narrow self fabric bias binding strip.  I made size 38 and this fitted well BUT the tunic was so long - almost a dress and I did NOT add the hem allowances.
Terrible photo  which is meant to show the details of the tunic. 

A better close up photo - still hard to see anything though.  I tried to match that upside bird . 

Using the markings on the patterns and closely looking at the garment line drawing and pattern layout I was able to work out how to sew this . I used instructions from a Burda envelope pattern and a Kwik Sew pattern to make sure I was on track with the insert yoke and sleeve slit . I removed about 13cm in length and it is arguably still a bit too long . I am 170cm or 5 foot 7 so the models wearing this tunic must be 6 foot tall !

Looking a bit nightiesque prior to cuffs , hems and neckline finishing. 

Knipmode biljage ( supplement ) March 2012.  Blouse 107. 
I was going to just use cream buttons but they looked insipid . Luckily I  found some buttons where the reverse side matched the blue blossoms and there was just enough !
I love my new tunic although it is too hot to wear it just now  . A great way to finish off 2015. I am not going to bloody miss you 2015 .
Here`s to a content , healthy and peaceful 2016 !

Thank you to my photographer who took an unwitting selfie !

7 comments:

  1. I love the last photo with the reflection of the photographer :). And I love this print as well - I've seen this in Spotlight too, but passed - amazingly! Nice to see it on yo - it's a beautiful tunic, and a longer length can be very flattering to wear when you want to hide something (body or trouser backs). Gorgeous. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this on you. The bird print is wonderful and I think the length is just right too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very lovely top, Janine. It's great when you find just the right fabric. I bought some Japanese linen and cotton chambray from The Cloth Shop and 1.5 m of Liberty at Clegs, so not too much to add to the stash. I''m hoping to sew them up over January while I'm still on holidays. Wishing you and your family a very happy 2016 and I hope all goes well with your exchange student.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great match of fabric to pattern, and you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely and the fabric is the perfect choice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the bird fabric & it looks so pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely tunic. I love the print and it looks so terrific on you.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for visiting. Please feel free to leave a comment . I am open to any constructive criticism and comments because I love learning and trying to grow in any way possible and enjoy discussions.